Vätternrundan are working intensively with the situation surrounding COVID-19.
– There is a critical point at which we will have to decide wether the events can take place or not, says Gunilla Brynell-Johansson, CEO for Vätternrundan. As it looks right now we are expecting to be able to notify our participants on April 6th.
The week will attract approximately 36 000 participants, requiring several thousand volunteers and a massive infrastructure. This means that many preparations need to be made at an early stage.
– We are faced with an extremely serious situation and our health is always our main priority. At the same time we do not want to make any rash decisions. Our dilema, along with everyone else, is that no one knows what the future will hold, says Gunilla Brynell-Johansson.
– Over the last few days we have gone through all our activities to see how long we can wait before placing our orders etcetera. It’s about respecting our suppliers and of course our participants; who need to know if the events will take place or if they should cancel their accommodation and travel plans.
The Board of Directors at Vätternrundan had an extra meeting last Monday and will have more frequent meetings in order to discuss developments. As it looks now Vätternrundan will await making a decision during the coming two to three weeks.
– There is a point in time where we will have to decide wether we are to arrange the different cycling events or not, says Gunilla Brynell-Johansson. As it stands today we expect to be able to make public our decision on April 6th.
– At the same time we see how the situation is changing from day to day and as we follow developments we will notify our participants and suppliers with continuous updates.
This text was updated 2020-03-16, 2.30 p.m. CET